Are you struggling with how to program your DTV remote? Whether you’re using DirectTV’s universal remote, or their “Genie” remote (aka RC73), you can rest assured the programming steps are simple and easy to follow. If you have Uverse TV, that’s a different kind of DirectTV remote, but for the DTV classic remotes, programming is pretty easy.
You’ll need to turn on your TV and remote, then start the programming process on the remote by hitting a few key buttons, depending on the model of remote you have. Sometimes you need a manual code, but most of the time you can try to use auto-code-search to skip that.
Don’t worry–we’ll explore this setup process with the auto-programming method. We’ll also offer two setup paths for the different remotes here so that you can work through the steps with ease, starting with:
Programming Your DTV Universal Remote (Manual/Using Code)
Before you begin programming your DTV universal remote, gather the remote, the device you want to program (TV, DVD Player, etc.), and the DirectTV Code for that device. Use DirecTV’s tool linked above to find it.
- Turn on the device: Ensure that the device you want to control is powered on.
- Access the settings: Press the MENU button on your DTV remote, navigate to Settings, and select Remote Control.
- Choose the device: From the list, select the type of device you would like to program (TV, audio, or DVD).
- Enter the code: If you don’t see your device listed, use the code lookup tool to find the 5-digit code for your device. Input this code using the remote’s number pad.
- Follow the on-screen prompts: Complete the programming process and test the remote by following the on-screen instructions.
That takes care of the DTV universal remote variant, but what about the “Genie”?
Are you looking for a TV-specific pairing guide for your DTV remote? If so, have a look at the resources we have for programming remotes to specific brands of TVs:
- Universal Remote Codes For Hisense TVs
- Element TV Remote Codes + Simple Programming Steps
- Toshiba Universal Remote Codes + Programming Without A Code
Programming DIRECTV Universal Remote without a Code
Now, let’s talk about programming the same remote without a code, using the auto-search feature.
- Switch on your TV: Make sure that the TV you want to control is turned on.
- Find the “Mode” button: This button is usually located on the top or side of your remote.
- Press and hold the “Mode” button: Do this until the LED light on the remote turns on.
- Enter Auto-Programming mode: Press the “Channel Up” button and wait for your remote to find the correct code. Keep pressing the “Channel Up” button until your TV turns off.
- Save the settings: Press the “Mode” button once more to save the settings.
Programming Your DTV Genie, aka “RC73” Remote (Auto-Search)
Instead of using a code, we’ll talk about auto-search first and foremost on this model. First, make sure your Genie receiver is plugged in and your TV is powered off. Your Genie receiver may be a Genie HD DVR, Genie Mini, or Wireless Genie Mini. Now, follow these steps:
- Point the remote at your Genie device (Denie HD DVR, Denie Mini, Wireless Genie Mini, etc.)
- Press and hold MUTE and SELECT buttons on your remote until the green light at the top flashes twice two times, then release them.|
- Enter code “961” on your device.
- Press the “channel-up” button once, then hit Enter.
- Hit OK when the TV shows: Your Remote is now setup for RF
- Now turn on the device you want to control (TV, etc.)
- Press MENU on your remote.
- Select Settings > Remote Control > Program Remote
- Select the device you want to control
- Follow on-screen prompts to complete programming (which will vary based on the device).
If you experience any issues or need to program the remote to another device, visit the DirecTV support page.