Pairing your NVIDIA Shield remote is essential for a seamless entertainment experience with your NVIDIA Shield device. The remote connects wirelessly to the device, allowing you to control various features and navigate through content effortlessly. Whether you’re a new user or have recently reset your remote, following the correct steps can make pairing a breeze.
To pair your NVIDIA Shield Remote with your Shield device, ensure that both devices are powered on and within proximity. Then, go to Settings on your Shield device and choose the option to pair a new remote. Press and hold the Select button on your SHIELD Remote until it begins flashing.
In this article, we will discuss how to pair your NVIDIA Shield remote with your device and share some troubleshooting tips for potential issues you may face during the process. Additionally, you’ll learn some useful ways to enhance your overall NVIDIA experience through the use of your remote.
Understanding NVIDIA Shield and Its Remote
The NVIDIA Shield is a powerful device that offers high-quality streaming and gaming capabilities. Its functionality is extended with the help of the SHIELD Remote, which provides an intuitive user experience. Here’s a brief overview of the NVIDIA Shield and its remote:
- NVIDIA Shield: A versatile streaming device, offering 4K HDR streaming, access to Android games, and gameplay from GeForce-powered PCs through GameStream. For additional information, refer to our related article on whether the NVIDIA Shield is compatible with all TVs.
- SHIELD Remote(on Amazon): A wireless remote that enhances your control over the NVIDIA Shield, including voice search, a touchpad for navigation, and various other shortcuts.
Overview of Nvidia Shield Devices
Before we go too much further, you should know there 2 main Nvidia Shield devices. The same remote works the same way with both of them. But, here are the Shield models you may be working with, and the different models and what sets them apart.
|Nvidia Shield Device (links to Amazon)
|Nvidia Shield TV
|A compact (cylindrical) streaming device with 4K HDR, Google Assistant, and Chromecast. Ideal for small spaces.
|Nvidia Shield TV Pro
|Enhanced with more RAM, storage, and USB ports. Perfect for gamers and Plex Media Server users.
|Nvidia Shield Tablet
|Portable for gaming and streaming, featuring a high-resolution display. Great for entertainment on the go. Typically relies on the touchscreen instead of the Shield remote.
|Nvidia Shield Portable
|A compact streaming device with 4K HDR, Google Assistant, and Chromecast. Ideal for small spaces. Typically relies on the built in controller, instead of the Shield remote.
How to Pair Your NVIDIA Shield Remote
There are two methods to pair your NVIDIA Shield remote to your device.
Method 1: Pairing Automatically
To get started with your NVIDIA Shield and SHIELD Remote, you need to pair the two devices:
- Begin by turning on your NVIDIA Shield.
- Press and hold the Select button on your SHIELD Remote until it starts flashing.
- Once it stops flashing and turns off, that means your remote is successfully connected to your Shield. (Source)
Pro-Tip: If your remote is already paired with another SHIELD device, press and hold the Home and Back buttons until the remote light flashes.
Method 2: Manual Pairing
If the LED light did not flash and the pairing attempt using the steps above was unsuccessful, you will need to take a slightly different approach and use the manual pairing method.
Step Zero: Initial Device Settings
Before starting the pairing process, make sure your NVIDIA Shield device is turned on and connected to your TV or monitor. Additionally, check if the batteries in your remote are properly inserted or charged. Now, follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to Settings on your Shield device.
- Locate and select SHIELD accessories.
- Choose “Pair an accessory” to begin the pairing process.
Your NVIDIA Shield remote needs to be in Bluetooth pairing mode to pair with the Shield Device. To put your SHIELD Remote into Bluetooth pairing mode and pair it to the device, perform the following steps:
- Hold down the NVIDIA button (located at the top of the remote) until the green LED starts flashing.
- Press and hold the Select button (the round button at the center of the remote) simultaneously with the Back button (located just above the Select button).
- Keep these buttons pressed until the LED light starts flashing rapidly, indicating that the remote is in pairing mode.
- Once your SHIELD Remote is in pairing mode, your Shield device should automatically detect and connect with the remote. When the connection is established, the LED light on the remote will stop flashing.
Finalizing the Pairing Process
Remember to keep your NVIDIA Shield remote within 1 foot of your Shield device, to stay in the Bluetooth range of your Shield device.
By following these simple steps, you should be able to easily pair your NVIDIA Shield Remote with your Shield device and enjoy a seamless streaming and gaming experience. However, just in case, we will list some troubleshooting steps if you encounter some common issues during this process.
Troubleshooting NVIDIA Shield Remote Pairing Issues
There are several issues you might experience with pairing your NVIDIA Shield remote. In case you encounter any of them, here are a few simple steps to troubleshoot.
Restarting the Device
One of the first steps in troubleshooting NVIDIA Shield Remote pairing issues is to restart your device. Follow these simple steps:
- Power off your NVIDIA Shield TV device.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Power on the device again.
After restarting, check if the remote pairs successfully.
Checking Physical Components and Software Updates
Before contacting support, ensure that all physical components are functioning correctly:
- Remote batteries: Dead batteries could be causing the issue, so make sure to replace them if needed.
- Software updates: Update your SHIELD remote’s software by going to Settings > Remote & Accessories > SHIELD Accessories > SHIELD Remote > Update software
- HDMI cable: Check if your HDMI cable is properly inserted or if it has any visible signs of damage. If you’re still experiencing issues, try swapping out your HDMI cable for a different one (on Amazon).
Contacting NVIDIA Support
If you’ve exhausted all other options and are still experiencing issues with pairing, don’t hesitate to reach out to NVIDIA support for additional help and guidance. Their team can provide further assistance and support to help resolve any lingering pairing issues you may be facing.
Enhancing Your NVIDIA Experience – Tips and Tricks
Here are some helpful tips and tricks to get the most out of your NVIDIA SHIELD TV:
- Automatically resume playback: Enable the auto-resume feature to continue playback from where you left off, even after turning off your device.
- Multi-keyboard support: Pair multiple Bluetooth keyboards to your SHIELD TV so all users in your household can type and navigate with ease.
- Disable unwanted apps: Streamline your experience by disabling apps you don’t use. This can help to improve performance and free up resources on your device.
Remember to explore the various settings and features available on your NVIDIA SHIELD TV, and experiment with different configurations to get the most out of your device.