Casting your Meta Quest 2 to your Roku TV allows you to share your VR adventures on a larger screen, making the experience more engaging for everyone not wearing a headset. Fortunately, setting up Meta Quest 2 casting to your Roku TV is pretty straightforward.
To cast Meta Quest 2 to Roku TV, download and open the Meta Quest App on your smartphone, ensure the Smart View feature is activated, then select your Roku TV through the Oculus menu and initiate the casting process. You can also use screen mirroring from your phone to Roku TV.
Below, we’ll guide you through the process of casting Meta Quest 2 to your Roku TV, ensuring smooth and flawless screen mirroring. Before diving into the step-by-step guide, preparing your devices for casting (making sure they’re connected to the same Wi-Fi network and logged into the same Meta account) is crucial for successful screen sharing, so we’ll explain that first. We’ll also discuss some common issues you might face with some troubleshooting tips.
Preparing Your Devices for Casting
In this section, we will help you prepare your devices and apps for casting Meta Quest 2 to your Roku TV. Once you have completed all of the steps, your devices should be ready for casting.
- The very first step is installing the Meta Quest App (formerly known as Oculus App) from the App Store (for iOS) or Google Play Store (for Android). You will use this app to manage your headset and enable casting.
- Next, make sure all your devices are connected to the Wi-Fi network. Your Meta Quest 2, Roku TV, and smartphone should all be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Also, ensure Bluetooth is enabled on your devices. In case you’re having any trouble, jump over to our troubleshooting section down below for a quick fix.
- The final step is activating your phone’s Smart View and Screen Mirroring. To do this, go to Settings on your phone. Look for the Connections or Display option. Within this menu, you can find the Smart View or Screen Mirroring feature and activate it.
Pro-Tip: For the best compatibility, update the software on your Meta Quest 2 before initiating the casting process. You can do this by going to Settings > About > Software update on your Meta Quest 2. (Source)
How to Cast Meta Quest 2 to Roku TV
Since Roku TV does not support the casting feature that Meta Quest 2 uses, you can’t cast directly from your Meta Quest 2 to Roku TV. So, we will have to get a little bit creative here. Not to worry – casting Meta Quest 2 to your Roku TV is possible, and we have two methods presented below.
Using the Meta Quest App
The first thing you can try is using the Meta Quest App from your phone. This method will require you to have the Meta Quest app downloaded on your smartphone. To simplify, using the Meta Quest App is allowing you to connect your Meta Quest 2 to your phone, and then cast it to the Roku TV. (Source)
To start casting, follow these simple steps:
- Power on your Quest headset by pressing the power button on the right side of the VR headset.
- Open the Meta Quest App on your smartphone.
- Make sure your phone’s Smart View feature is activated if available.
Once you have the Meta Quest App open on your phone, it’s time to move on to your Meta Quest 2 to select the device you wish to cast to:
- On your Meta Quest 2, press the Oculus button on the right VR controller.
- Navigate to the Share option in the menu.
- Choose the Cast option.
Now, you should be able to see a list of available devices for casting on your headset. To initiate the casting process, follow these steps:
- Locate your Roku TV in the list of available devices.
- Select the Roku TV you’d like to cast to.
- Your Quest 2 will now initiate the casting process, and the screen mirroring should begin.
- In some cases, the Roku TV may display a PIN for you to enter on your Quest 2 or smartphone, so make sure to enter it if prompted.
Using Screen Mirroring
Screen mirroring is a technology that allows you to display the screen of a smartphone, tablet, or computer on another screen, such as a TV or monitor. You can use your Android device to Screen Mirror on Roku TV, and if you are using an iPhone, you can mirror your screen using AirPlay.
- On your Roku TV, navigate to Settings and select System.
- Choose Screen Mirroring and ensure that it is set to either Prompt or Always Allow.
- On your phone, open the Meta Quest App go to Settings, and select Connected Devices or Display.
- Choose Cast or Screen mirroring and select your Roku TV from the available devices.
- Once connected, your Meta Quest 2 content will be mirrored to your Roku TV screen
What To Do When Casting Fails (Troubleshooting)
If your Meta Quest 2 is not casting to your Roku TV, follow these steps to troubleshoot:
- Restart your devices: Power off the Quest 2, Roku TV, and router for 30 seconds, and then turn them back on. This often resolves the issue. In case your Roku TV won’t connect to Wi-Fi after a reset, follow this easy guide.
- Check Wi-Fi connection: Make sure both Quest 2 and Roku TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Try disabling and enabling Wi-Fi on both devices for better connection.
- Update software on both devices: Keep your Quest 2 and Roku TV updated with the latest software versions.
- Use alternative casting methods: If all else fails, consider using a Google Chromecast or HDMI port with a compatible cable to cast from your Quest 2 to your TV.
If you keep experiencing issues, and believe your Roku device is the cause, go through one of our more detailed guides on Roku troubleshooting. We have covered topics such as Roku TV not connecting to Wi-Fi after a reset, Roku Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues, and the benefits of Roku Cache clearing.