Controlling your TV is easier than ever with the latest remotes that incorporate voice control technology. But before you can start voicing your commands, you’ll need to pair your remote to the TV. So, if you’ve got an Xfinity remote, what’s the easiest way to pair it?
To pair your Xfinity remote, set the TV to the correct input, then press the remote’s ‘setup’ button repeatedly until the LED light at the top turns green. Press the ‘Xfinity’ button, and the green light should start flashing. Enter the three-digit code, and follow the prompts to complete the setup.
Let’s take a closer look at the different types of Xfinity remotes and the best ways to customize your control. We’ll also go over some common problems that users face while pairing their remote and how to solve them.
Which Xfinity Remote Do You Have?
There are various types of Xfinity remotes that offer various functions. The most popular options offers office control, automatic pairing, and other innovative features that make controlling your TV a breeze.
There are various buttons that feature on all Xfinity remotes. The most typical ones allow you to play, pause, stop, favorite, and swap programs. Newer remotes offer common buttons such as mute, TV input, and volume. The key feature for most Xfinity remotes is their voice control button.
And one last note, this is a guide on pairing your remote. We have separate guides on reprogramming an Xfinity remote, and also some general troubleshooting for if your remote isn’t working (volume control, channel buttons not working, etc.). But for now, let’s get back to this specific problem of identifying a remote you need to pair.
Here’s a list of the different types of Xfinity remotes and how to identify yours:
The XR15 Xfinity remote (on Amazon) has a new look but many of the same features of previous Xfinity remotes. This remote, which can only be used with specific TV Boxes, uses voice instructions to find your desired content more quickly.
With only your voice, you can switch between channels, look for shows, get suggestions, and more. It also has a distinctive modern look featuring a bold rectangular shape.
The XR11 remote (on Amazon) offers voice activation with certain devices, helping you quickly find channels and more. It’s the smaller sister of the XR15 and is typically grey with a slight bow in its rectangular shape.
The streamlined design of the XR5 remotes (on Amazon) is distinctive. They are typically black with a silver square button feature. These work through voice control with all TV boxes.
The Xfinity XR2v3 (on Amazon) remote works with every TV box and features separate search, play, pause, stop, favorite, and swap buttons. It’s an older-looking, grey remote.
The Xfinity XR16 Voice Remote (on Amazon), which is compatible with Xfinity Flex streaming TV Boxes, offers a straightforward design sans number buttons.
How to Pair Your Xfinity Remote
Pairing your Xfinity remote to your TV is quite simple. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Ensure that your TV and TV Box are turned on and that the remote has charged batteries.
- Set the Xfinity TV Box-connected input as the TV’s default input.
- Press the ‘setup’ button on your remote control repeatedly until the LED at the top turns green.
- On the remote, press the ‘Xfinity’ button. Green will start flashing on the LED.
- Enter the three-digit code and follow the directions.
- Your remote is linked with the TV Box once the on-screen pairing code has been accurately entered.
If your Xfinity remote lacks a setup button, you will need to change steps 3 and 4 and hold down the ‘Xfinity’ and ‘info’ buttons simultaneously for five seconds. Wait for the light to change from red to green.
Programming Your Xfinity Remote
Programming your Xfinity remote to work with other devices, such as soundbars or DVD players, is similarly easy. Use these steps:
- Press and hold the Microphone button, and say “program remote.” This should bring up information about the use of your remote to control TV settings.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to program your preferred remote settings.
If you’re interested in this, be sure and check out our full article on pairing an Xfinity remote with a soundbar here.
Tips for Using Voice Control
The main feature and purpose of the Xfinity remote is the voice control function. Most Xfinity remotes have voice control, so here are some quick tips to ensure you get the most out of the feature:
- To enable the voice control feature (and to turn it off), simply press the ‘Xfinity’ button on your remote, scroll to the gear icon and select before clicking remote settings, and then choose whether you wish to turn the feature on or off.
- Press and hold the button to voice your command. The remote will not work if you do not hold the button.
- Pair the remote immediately to attain the best experience. It can also work like a normal remote, but you won’t get the full potential if you don’t pair it with your TV to use voice control.
Common Problems and Troubleshooting
Should you experience issues with the Xfinity app, don’t worry; it should be easy to resolve.
Below are some common problems and how to troubleshoot them:
- Dirty buttons: All you need for this straightforward remedy is a wet wipe. You may clean the remote with any kind of cleaning wipe. Clean all of the buttons after removing the batteries. If your remote still won’t function, there might be another problem.
- Broken remote: If your remote has been dropped or experienced liquid damage, it might be broken. Hence, you will need a replacement.
- Dead batteries: Your remote might not work due to dead batteries, which can easily be resolved by replacing them.
- Incorrect programming: There are many codes for different Xfinity remotes. The TV and cable box won’t operate as they should if your remote isn’t programmed correctly. Reprogramming the remote to work with your TV and cable box is a quick cure for this.
Should you continue experiencing issues and wish to reset your remote, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the ‘i’ and ‘home’ buttons simultaneously for five seconds until the status light blinks. On remotes older than the XR15 and XR16, you will need to hold down the ‘A’ and ‘D’ buttons instead.
- Press the power button followed by the ‘last’ and volume down buttons.
If these steps are not available, other Xfinity remotes might allow you to reset the remote using the settings buttons.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some common questions and answers about Xfinity remotes:
When Is the Microphone On?
The microphone is only active while you’re holding down the microphone button on your remote. When the microphone is turned on and listening for your voice commands, a flashing light on your remote and a microphone icon on the TV connected to your X1 TV Box will let you know.
When you push and then release the microphone button on your remote, a brief sound will be produced.
Which Voice Commands Are Available?
You can conduct a keyword or phrase search with the remote, which supports natural language speech recognition. Use voice control to change channels, look for shows, get suggestions, and more.
The Final Word
An Xfinity remote is a great choice if you want to enhance your TV viewing experience. No longer do you need to endlessly search for programs. Instead, you can speak to your device and find what you’re looking for in seconds.
Ensure to follow the pairing steps and program your remote successfully for the best experience.